Photo Archives
"Buildings"
Buildings274
File Number      Description           DateNotes


Page 3 of 3
Page 1, 2,


Buildings277
Buildings276
Buildings275
Buildings279
Buildings278
Buildings281
Buildings280
Byrd lumber mill on Chambers Creek
Buildings283
Buildings282
Back to Buildings Page 2, to Page 1                               To Steilacoom Historical Photos Main Page 
Bair Store
Lithograph of Steilacoom 
Steilacoom grade school, built in 1898, replaced in 1917
Bair drug store (leased from SHMA for use as the restaurant Bair Bistro)
Dec, 2011
Buildings284
Buildings285
Bair Drugs and other stores on Lafayette Street
New Masonic Hall dedicated in 1937
Buildings286
"Rolling Hills" (Davidson  home) as seen from Main Street
1937
Buildings287
"Rolling Hills" (Davidson  home) as seen from Commercial Street)
Buildings288

Davidson family boating on Puget Sound  at Steilacoom waterfront.
4/25/1939
Buildings290
Buildings291
Buildings289
Buildings292
"Rolling Hills" (Davidson  home) as seen from Puget Sound (Rolling Hills is white house at right with two chimneys).
Back of "Rolling Hills" (Davidson  home) as seen from vicinity of durrent (2013) Town Hall.  Puget Sound in background.
Nathaniel Orr Wagon Shop after conversion to gas station/auto repair shop.  Clearly shows "Shell Gasoline" on side (still visible in 2013), but not "Quick Starting" which preceded the "Shell Gasoline".
Shingle mill on Nisqually Flat owned by Judge Card's family
Early 1900s
Buildings294
Buildings293
Buildings296
Buildings295
1945
Buildings299
Buildings298
Buildings297
Buildings300
1944
Group standing in front of the Court House.
 Smith Groceries on Lafayette Street.  Not the bricked roadway and the single railway track (hard to see at bottom of phone..
The delapidated original County Jail.  The photo came from the Davidson Collection so it may be Davidson family members viewing the jail.
Smith Groceries on Lafayette Street.
Originally the Nathaniel Orr Wagon Shop, by 1925, the shop had been converted to Steilacoom first gas station, owned by Gordon Toole.   The sign on the side of the building says "Quick Starting Shell Gasoline" and is still visible today (2013). 
1928
 A sign on what is now Steilacoom Boulevard at the site of Byrd's Mill which was to the left of this photo.. 
1946
 The dilapidated County Jail, long after it had last been used.
1946
The Catholic Church in the background with a plaque honoring  Catholic Church Women.
Buildings302
Buildings301
Buildings303
Buildings305
Buildings304
Pioneer School (auditorium?).  Photo donated by Milt Davidson.
Ca 1950
Pioneer School.  Photo donated by Milt Davidson.
Ca 1950
Ca 1950
Buildings312
Buildings306
Buildings307
Buildings308
Buildings309
Buildings310
Buildings311
Pioneer School.  Photo donated by Milt Davidson.
Pioneer School (locker room?).  Photo donated by Milt Davidson.
Pioneer School (lunch room?).  Photo donated by Milt Davidson.
Catholic covenant (left,  (demolished in early 1900s) and Church.  Photo donated by Milt Davidson.
Aug 1974
Bair Hardware sale by SHMA.  Photo from Davidson collection
Nov 2, 1946
First Steilacoom School originally designed as a school, built in 1892.  Photo from Davidson collection.

ca. 1920
Oberlin Church.  Photo from Davidson Collection.
First Steilacoom School origially designed as a school, built in 1892.  Photo from Davidson Collection.
Nov 2, 1946
Masonic Hall on Lafayette Street.  Photo from Davidson Collection.
Buildings313
Buildings to left of Bair Drugs on Lafayette Street.  One was a bakery.  Photo from Davidson Collection.
Nov 2, 1946
Buildings320
Buildings315
Buildings314
Buildings316
Buildings318
Buildings317
Buildings319
Northwest side of Bair Hardware (side nearest tennis court).  Photo from Davidson collection.
Dedication of Steilacoom train depot.  Photo from Davidson collection.
General parking at train depot which was buildt in 1914.  Note absence of siding tracks.  Photo from Davidson collection.
Railroad car on siding behind train depot.  Photo from Davidson collection.
Steilacoom train depot.  Photo from Davidson collection.
Northwest side of Bair Hardware (side nearest tennis court).  Photo from Davidson collection.
Unk
Unk
Feb 16, 1941
1941
ca. 1930
1914
Buildings321
Pierce County Court House until 1880, then Academy of higher learning for Congregationalists until 1864, and finally used as a  Steilacoom school until 1902.  See Buildings0-56A and 056B for similar photos.  Photo from the Davidson collection
Pierce County Court House until 1880, then Academy of higher learning for Congregationalists until 1864, and finally used as a  Steilacoom school until 1902.  See Buildings0-56A and 056B for similar photos.  Photo from the Davidson collection
Unk
Unk
Buildings322
Flower Shoppe just off Union Street run by C. W. (Clarence) and Alda Tryon.  Except for some shiplap boards for the roof and knotty pine panelling, building materials were "harvested" on or near the Tryon property.  Few nails were used in construction.  Alda was a graduate of the Oregon Florist School of Design.  Newspaper clipping  from the Davidson collection
Buildings327
Buildings326
Buildings324
Buildings325
Buildings323
Crew working on recnnstruction of Bair Harware.  Photo donated by Milt Davidson.
Independent Church of Steilacoom, corner of 4th and Union.  Photo donated by Milt Davidson.
1941
Catholic Church on Main Street.  Postcard donated by Milt Davidson.
Catholic Church on Main Street.  Photo donated by Milt Davidson.
1913
11/2/1946
1939
Catholic Church on Main Street.  Postcard donated by Milt Davidson.
Buildings329
Buildings328
Steilacoom Depot shortly after depot was opened for business.  Photo donated by Milt Davidson.
Steilacoom Depot shortly before tracks were laid and depot was opened for business. Photo donated by Milt Davidson.
1914
ca. 1915
Buildings330
 View down Wilkes St. from Starling St.  Left on Lafayette is the Derville Building, Bair Drugs, and Morgan Grocery Store.  Beyond is the old Masonic Hall, Wooden Bell Tower, old Doering barn, Hotel Waverly, Gove home, Wester home, and Even Tides home.  In forground is Balch home.
1898
Buildings334
Buildings332
Buildings331
Milt Davidson and Chuck Buchanan on the tennis courts.  Fire Station is at right, E. R. Rogers in Background.  Photo donated by Milt Davidson.
Aug 1953
Business along Lafayette Street.  From right to left, Bair Drugs and Hardware,  Mason - Leroux Boarding House, and several others down to the Oberin Church, the tower of which can be seen in the background. Photo donated by Milt Davidson.
1904 - 1906
Balch's Wharf (the first wharf in Steilacoom) in distance.  White building is E. A. Light Store with Keach's General Store next to it. Photo donated by Milt Davidson.
1895
Buildings333
Construction along Lafayette Street. Photo donated by Milt Davidson.
1999