Photo Archives
"Buildings"
Buildings001
Description
Date Taken
Notes
File No.
Buildings002
Buildings001A
Buildings004
Buildings005
Buildings006A
Buildings006
Buildings008
Buildings007A
Buildings007
Buildings008A
Buildings008B1
Buildings008B
Buildings010
Buildings009
Buildings010A
Waverly Hotel (formerly E. R. Rogers house)
Hattie Bair (?) and others standing on porch of the Waverly Hotel (magnified from Bulidings006 above)
Steilacoom School built in 1892 on Nisqually Street/
1890s
Steilacoom School built in 1892 on Nisqually Street
1890s
Steilacoom School as it appeared in 1892 - 1917; on Nisqually Street
New Steilacoom School built in 1916 with old school still standing behind; on Nisqually Street
1917
1890s
Steilacoom School built in 1916 with old school which used to stand behind it now gone; on Nisqually Street
1917
Steilacoom school for grades 1 - 8; located on Nisqually Street
Iron Springs Hotel viewed from west showing landscaping
Iron Springs Hotel on Starling Street
Iron Springs Hotel on Starling Street, formerly a sanatorium .  W. W. and Hattie Bair standing on the porch.
1920
1920
1920s
~1906
~1905
Iron Springs Hotel viewed from east.  To the right can be seen the "Four Sisters" building and that, the present day "Columns"
1905
Iron Springs Hotel viewed from Starling Street
Iron Springs Sanatorium, formerly NPRR Brewery, converted to sanatorium by W. L. Bair
1895
1905
The Iron Springs Sanatorium became Ed Bair's aquarium in about 1912. 
1905
After 1912
Ed Bair standing at entrance to his aquarium shown in Buildings008B above
Iron Springs Hotel, formerly NPRR Brewery, converted to a sanatorium by W. L. Bair and his brother, Ed.  Note the sign saying "Grill Room"
Buildings012
Buildings011
Buildings013B
Buildings013A
Buildings013
Buildings015
Buildings014
Buildings017
Buildings016
Buildings017A
Buildings020
Buildings019
Buildings018
Buildings023
Buildings022
Buildings021
Buildings023A
Buildings025A
Buildings025
Buildings024
Buildings029
Buildings028
Buildings027
Buildings026
Buildings032
Photo missing
Iron Springs Hotel, formerly Iron Springs Sanatorium, and before that, NPRR Brewery.  View of west side.
Iron Springs Hotel, formerly NPRR Brewery, converted to a hotel by W. L. Bair and his brother, Ed. 
Methodist Episcopal Church.  First protestant church north of Columbia River 
First piano brought to Washington Territory.  Shipped around Cape Horn from New York to Rev. J. F. DeVore in 1863.  Rosewood.  Displayed in Ferry Museum in Tacoma (unknown if still there.
Methodist Episcopal Church.  First protestant church north of Columbia River 
Bair Drug Store.  First store built on Lafayette Street.  Margareta Hubert Blyth ("Grandma Blyth") house to the right
Oberlin Congregational Church (now Steilacoom Tribal Museum) built at corner of Lafayette and Pacific Streets in 1902.
Presbyterian Church built in 1862 at corner of Rainer and Puyallup Streets.  Used by Congregationalists 1883 - 1902
Harmon House Hotel restored by Hill Harmon.  Corner of Commercial and Balch Streets.  
Closeup of people in front of Bair Drug Store in photo Buildings017 above.  W. L. Bair at left, John Bair at right.
Bair Drug Store featuring "Bair the Druggist" sign.  Next to Post Office.
Steilacoom Aquarium.  Ed Bair standing on porch.  Officially known as the "Puget Sound adn Deep Sea Aquarium and Museum".  Located at Saltar's Point.
Robert Thompson Barn and Stable, right across Lafayette Street from Bair Drugs.  Street car tracks visible.  Business later owned by Hill Harmon.  "Dixie Queen advertisement.
West shore building on Commercial Street near Union Avenue
Log house on Commercial Street.  Site of first Steilacoom School.  Used as refuge during Indian wars.
Bair Drugs during restoration, showing condition of rocks used for foundation.  Clyde Davidson with the shovel.
Steilacoom Town Hall, built in 1930.
Masonic Hall; Steilacoom Lodge #2.  1860 - 1908
West Shore building on Commercial Street near Union Avenue became the Neil Henly home.  Photo shows waterfront before railroad was built.
Grist mill located on Chambers Creek.  Formerly located at the curve in the road between the current boat storage facility and the paper mill.  Photo from Tacoma Public Library archives.
Cates building and Lights store on Balch Street
Steilacoom Town Hall
Side view of Rundquist's Blacksmith Shop
Rundquist's Blacksmith Shop located at foot of Puyallup Street.  Peter Rundquist standing at rear of wagon.
Commercial buildings on Lafayette Street:  Bair Drugs, meat market, grocery store,  "Wye" street car
1910
1980
`1905
Unk
Unk
1854
1895
1910
1865
1895
1900
1900
1975
~1915
1876
1850s
~1900
~1900
1895
1990
1930
1890
~1890
1885
1893
~1900
Buildings031
Buildings030
Buildings033
Buildings036
Buildings035
Buildings034
Buildings039
Buildings038
Buildings037
Buildings040
Exterior of J. M. Smith's General Merchandise Store on Lafayette
Bair Pharmacy in Tacoma (which the Bair family ran before moving to Steilacoom)
The NPRR Brewery on Starling Street, built by Wolf Schafer in 1873
~1914
Early 1890s
~1880
Deep Sea Aquarium at Saltar's Point
Bayview Hotel and Balch Store on Balch Street with Balch Wharf in distance.
Smith's General Merchandise Store, Slim Krogh's Pool Hall on Lafayette Street
1890
1914
~1920
1895
1895
1895
Looking west on Commercial Street:  Weller's Butcher Shop, Post Office, Vaughn's Livery Stable
Looking east on Commercial Street:  Vaughn's Livery Stable, Post Office, Wellers Butcher Shop/Meat Market
1925
Buildings042
Buildings041
Looking northeast on Commercial Street:  L. to R.:  Bayview Hotel, Johnson Shoe Repair, Clendenin Store, Fannin Drug Store, and Eisenbeis Bakery.
Green's Soundview Hotel and Boat House at Saltar's Point
Territorial and County Jail built on Starling Street in 1858
Northern Pacific RR depot built at foot of Union Avenue in 1914
1914
1890
Buildings043
Territorial and County Jail built on Starling Street in 1858; roof had caved in at the time this photo was taken.
1930
Buildings044
Buildings046
Buildings045
Buildings048
Buildings047
Buildings050
Buildings049
Remodelling of NPRR Brewery as Iron Springs Sanatorium (later to be Iron Springs Hotel)
Hotel Waverly at corner of Wilkes and Commercial Streets.  Built in 1893 by E. R. Rogers as his residence.  Nick Doering Livery Stable shown across street at left side of photo.
~1900
~1900
Western State Hospital
Waverly Hotel as viewed from Commercial Street.
~1920
1910
Bradley Auto Sleeper, built in 1912 as hotel for NPRR workers, later  used as apartments.
Tennis court clubhouse at Martin and 4th Street
Puget Sound Woolen Manufacturing Company near John Dower School; built 1870
~1910
~1920
~1890
Buildings051A
Buildings051
Buildings054
Buildings053
Buildings052
Buildings056B
Buildings056A
Buildings055
Buildings059
Buildings058
Buildings057
Buildings060

Buildings064

Buildings063

Buildings062

Buildings061

Buildings066

Buildings065

Buildings067

Buildings070

Buildings069

Buildings068

Buildings072A

Buildings072

Buildings071

Buildings074

Buildings073

Buildings076

Buildings075

Buildings079

Buildings078

Buildings077

Buildings080

Buildings080B

Buildings080A

Buildings082A

Buildings082

Buildings081

Buildings085

Buildings084

Buildings083

Buildings086

Buildings087B

Buildings087A

Buildings087

Buildings089

Buildings088

Buildings090

Buildings091A

Buildings091D

Buildings091C

Buildings091B

Buildings094

Buildings093

Buildings092

Buildings097

Buildings096

Buildings095

Buildings098

Buildings101

Buildings100

Buildings099

Masonic Hall and  bell tower on Commercial Street.  The bell tower was built to house the bell when the Methodist Episcopal Church was torn down in 1894.

1896
Buildings104

Buildings103

Buildings102

Buildings105

Buildings106

Buildings107

Buildings108

Buildings110

Buildings109

Buildings113

Buildings112

Buildings111

Buildings114B

Buildings114A

Buildings114

Buildings116

Buildings115

Buildings114C

Buildings117

Photo Missing

Buildings119

Buildings118

Buildings120

Buildings122

Buildings121B

Buildings121

Buildings123

Buildings124

Buildings125

Buildings126

Buildings129

Buildings128

Buildings127

Buildings130

Not Used

Buildings133

Buildings132

Buildings131

Buildings135

Buildings134

Buildings136

Buildings140

Buildings139

Buildings138

Buildings137

Buildings143

Buildings142

Buildings141

Buildings144B

Buildings144A

Buildings145A1

Buildings145A

Buildings145A1B

Buildings145A2

Buildings145B

Buildings145E

Buildings145D

Buildings145C

Buildings145H

Buildings145G

Buildings145F

Buildings150

Buildings148

Buildings147

Buildings146

Buildings149

Back to top                                 To "Buildings" page 2                            To Historical Photos main page

Page 1 of 3
23
McCaw and Rogers, and S. McCaw and Company  The older building to the right, built in 1854, was torn down after the new building was erected.
McCaw and (E.R.) Rogers, first brick building in Washington Territory - 1859.  On upper side of Commercial Street between Puyallup and Balch Streets.
St. Josephs Academy on Nisqually Street.  Built by the Sisters of Charity of Providence
~1870
1860
~1890
1898
~1900

Catholic Immaculate Conception Church.  Moved from Fort Steilacoom to Steilacoom in 1864 after the "Indian Wars"
Catholic Immaculate Conception Church.  Moved from Fort Steilacoom to Steilacoom in 1864 after the "Indian Wars"
Catholic Immaculate Conception Church.  Moved from Fort Steilacoom to Steilacoom in 1864 after the "Indian Wars"
Pierce County Court House on Martin Street, 1858 - 1880.  Later a school, boarding house.  Torn down around 1893
1893
Pierce County Court House on Martin Street, 1858 - 1880.  Later a school, boarding house.  Torn down around 1893
1893
Earlier "OK Restaurant", also owned by Catherine Hedges.  On Commercial Street next to Balch Store
Eisenbeis Steilacoom Bakery on Commercial Street.  Baker, Fred Eisenbise, standing in front wearing apron
1860
~1900
~1885
"OK Restaurant" owned by Catherine Hedges.  On Commercial Street next to Balch Store
Thompson Hotel on Commercial Street.  Build by Levant Thompson in approximately 1856
1860
Pierce County jail on Starling Street
1915
1920's
Pierce County jail on Starling Street
Pierce County jail on Starling Street surrounded by vegetation
Immaculate Conception Catholic Mission, photo from Main Street
St. Joseph Academy on Nisqually Street, Immaculate Conception Mission in background.
St. Joseph Academy on Nisqually Street.  Photo may be been taken as the structure was being converted to a home.  Group of unidentified people on the porch.
~1900
~1866
1890's
Immaculate Conception Catholic Mission, close-up of front door
Immaculate Conception Catholic Mission
Immaculate Conception Catholic Mission
1980s
1970's
1920s
Immaculate Conception Catholic Mission
1980s
Mill on Chambers Creek (zoom view of Buildings072)
Chambers Mill on Chambers Creek.  For orientation, the current (2009) paper mill would be at the upper left corner of the photo.  See also "Buildings110".  Although there is no direct proof of whether this was Chamber's saw mill, or flour (grist) mill, it is most likely his grist mill which has been described as having four floors.
Iron Springs Hotel on Starling Street.  Formerly Iron Springs Sanatorium.  W. L. and Hattie Bair on porch.
1893
1893
~1908
Oberlin Congregational Church at corner of Lafayette and Pacific Streets
1958
Not Used

Exterior of "new" Steilacoom School, built in 1916-7


1976
1920s
Not Used
Exterior of "new" Steilacoom School, built in 1916
1920s
Same photo as Buildings025

Exterior of Town Hall, dedicated October 4, 1930.
1930
Etching of E.R. Rogers Restaurant (see "Buildings080" above) after re-opening in 1978.
Initially E. R. Rogers, then Waverly Hotel, and here as the Waverly Restaurant, dedicated in April 21, 1975. New owner changed name to E. R. Rogers Restaurant in 1978.
Exterior of Town Hall, dedicated October 4, 1930.  Sign says "Bicentennial Community"
1984
1975
Read an interesting tale about the E. R. Rogers Restaurant here.
Seven men lounging in front of the Bair Drug Store...John Dowling, W. L. Bair, Fred Doyne, Fred Chelius, Harry Gaul, Dike Rigney, Charlie Armstrong
Northern Pacific Railroad Brewery on Starling Street.  Copyrighted by the Washington State Historical Museum.
Waverly Hotel (later E.R. Rogers Restaurant ,see "Buildings080" above)
1880s
April, 1960
1897
Lafayette Street businesses....Bair Drugs, Meat Market, Smith's Store.  Pictured are Fred Chelius, Herman Gaul, Billy Austin, and Cub Bair
1912?
Close-up of seven men lounging in front of the Bair Drug Store (same photo as "Buildings082" above)
1897
The aging Bair Drugs, restored in the late 1800s, as it appeared in 1961
Newly rebuilt Bair Drugs and Derville Building on Lafayette Street
1961
1896
Promotional for the Deep Sea Aquarium at Saltar's Point
Charlie Murbarger's General Store on Lafayette Street, Charlie Murbarger pictured
Ed Bair showing an exhibit from the Deep Sea Aquarium
1925
1925
1925
1910
Promotional for the Deep Sea Aquarium at Saltar's Point
Promotional for the Deep Sea Aquarium at Saltar's Point
1915
Exterior of Deep Sea Aquarium at Saltar's Point
Deep Sea Aquarium at Saltar's Point
1920s
1920s
Deep Sea Aquarium at Saltar's Point
Interior of Deep Sea Aquarium at Saltar's Point
~1925
~1925
Deep Sea Aquarium at Saltar's Point
~1925
Side view of Deep Sea Aquarium at Saltar's Point
~1925
Ed Bair and his 1923 Ford advertising Deep Sea Aquarium at Saltar's Point
Not Used
~1925
Waterfront view of "Old Masonic Hall" on Commercial Street.
1885
The McCaw and Company Store.  This was the first store owned by Samuel McCaw and E. R. Rogers
Balch Store (first store in Steilacoom).  Lafayette Balch built his store in 1851 from wood pre-cut in his native state of Maine and shipped around the horn...there were no lumber mills in the northwest at the time.
Colorized post card of the Soles family home near Parkland.  The building was originally a very early Hudson Bay Trading Post.
Unk
~1885
1885
The Soles family home near Parkland.  Original  copyrighted photo in the Special Collections of the University of Washington Library.  See colorized post card of same building as Buildings098 above.
Unk
Not Used

Masonic Hall on Commercial Street
Fort Steilacoom barns, east of the main fort
1880
1860
Catholic Mission and Convent School
Site of Byrd School.  In 1912, the landmark tree was fallen leaving the stump pictured in "Buildings104" above
Site of Byrd School (in 1912, and thereafter, this stump marked the site.  Near intersection of Lakewood Drive and Steilacoom Boulevard/100th).  In 2009, the site was undergoing excavation by a local history buff.
1912
Not Used

~1864
1912
Beer Hall, Butcher Shop, and Post Office.  The beer hall was operated by Henry Rupp
Steilacoom Transfer Company with owner, Nick Doering, standing on wagon at right.
Byrd family barn and hop drying house at Fern Hill.  Built in 1866, torn down in 1910
1880
1900
1910
Bair Drugs, front view before renovation.
Chambers Mill, operated by Judge Thomas Chambers, the person for which Chambers Creek is named.  Chambers operated the first mills in Pierce County, this one on what was then the Steilacoom River, now Chambers Creek.  See also "Buildings072"
1880
1975
1880
Photo Missing

Close-up side view of Bair Drugs druing start of renovation.  
Bair Drugs, side view before renovation.
Bair Drugs, front view before renovation.
1975
1975
1975
Bair Drugs, side view before renovation.  Nearly identical to "Buildings114" (two workers in 114A not present in 114B).
1859
1975
1975
Photo Missing

Close-up side view of Bair Drugs during start of renovation.  Lynn Sholes and Lyle Dunkin were involved with renovation, shown here on roof
Close-up of Catholic Church, snow on bushes
McCaw and Rogers Store, close-up of building.  Photo labeled "Steilacoom 1859.
1970s
1980s
Front viewof Catholic Church
View of parade ground and surrounding buildings at original Fort Steilacom.  Officer's quarters on far side of field.
~1940
1942
Civil Defense observation tower at Brown's Point
Bair Drugs with gas pump in front during period when the store sold much more than drugs.
Town Hall 
Unk
1970
Bair Drugs with gas pump in front during period when the store sold much more than drugs.
Sketch of Bair Drugs by C. Mathias
Oct 13, 1974
1970
E. R. Rogers store on Lafayette Street
1900?
Not Used

Not Used

O'Donnell building, later torn down and replaced by Smith's Grocery
1910
Immaculate Conception Catholic Mission Church
1970
Unk
Western State Hospital on site of former Fort Steilacoom
Deep Sea Aquarium at Saltar's Point
Immaculate Conception Catholic Mission Church
1943
1970
Bair Store with two gas pumps in front
Deep Sea Aquarium at Saltar's Point
1944
1943
1944
Old Pierce County jail being dismantled
Steilacoom Garage and gas station (Standard Oil) at grand opening.  Sign in window says "Open for business April 1st - No foolin'!"
1944
1942
1944
Spectators watching old Pierce County jail being dismantled
Old jail crumbling
Spectators watching old Pierce County jail being dismantled
Deep Sea Aquarium being dismantled
1944
1944
1944
Steilacoom Garage being built at corner of Rainier and Union Streets, current site of Espresso by the Bay
Jan 1942
Chambers Creek lumber mill (which preceded paper mill at same site...see "Buildings142" above 
Paper mill on Chambers Creek (Owned by Atibi in 2009, but not in use)
Unk, but before 1937
Oct 31, 1937
1960s
1960s
Bair Store, side view
Bair Store, front view
Photos "Buildings145A" through "Buildings145H" show Bair Store before and as it was being reconstructed to its original configuration as a drug store.  The principal work crew included Lynn Scholes, Lyle Dunkin, Bob Anderson, and Bob Volkner.
1975
Bair Store, side view
1975
1975
1975
1975
1975
Bair Store, pouring the concrete foundation
Bair Store, corner view
Bair Store, side view
Bair Store, Bob Anderson and Bob Volkner working on roof
Bair Store, Lynn Scholes, Lyle Dunkin and "Foster"
1975
1975
Bair Store, inside
Bair Store, front view
Bair Store, applying new siding
1975
1975
1975
Bair Store, inside
1975
Bair Store, dedication of new store
Bair Store, attaching new sign during reconstruction
1976
1976
1976
Catholic Church before renovation, showing picket fence in front
Bair Store, dedication of new store.  Cub and Eudocia Bair
Dedication of new Bair Store.  Lynn Sholes, president of the Steilacoom Historical Museum Association acting as moderator.  
~1920
1976
See also Buildings001A, 002, 003, 241, and 242
See also Buildings001, 003, 241, and 242
Buildings003
Buildings014A
Buildings014B
Small piano purchased by Presbyterian Rev. Sloan, ____ by Beth Julian
Bair Store at beginning of reconstruction

Buildings145I

1975
Buildings112A

Bair Drugs, front view 
1960s
Bair Store with two gas pumps in front
Buildings145J

~1905
~1920
~1880
Chambers Mill (see caption for Buildings111 below.